Triathlon 4 A Cure is a private funding organization that was founded in 2004 to help The Kidney Foundation of Canada to raise funds to provide better services for families and patients. It is a non-affiliated group of athletes who have chosen to race for a charitable cause rather than solely for personal success. 100% of all funds raised by Triathlon 4 A Cure will got to The Kidney Foundation of Canada. The athletes have pledged to fundraise at the beginning of each triathlon season and donate all proceeds to the Kidney Foundation of Canada. Many of our members are acting on behalf family or friends who have suffered from some form of chronic renal insufficiency (CRI), better known as kidney disease.
Some Facts About Kidney Disease:
- Kidney Disease can strike anyone at any age.
- It is currently estimated that 1.9 million Canadians suffer from chronic kidney disease - most don't know it because symptoms are silent.
- Each day an average of 12 Canadians learn that their kidneys have failed.
- If kidney failure is not treated, people can die within weeks, even days.
- In 2001, there were 27,359 Canadians on renal replacement therapy and this number is expected to double over the next 10 years.
- Of the 3,956 Canadians on the organ donor waiting list (as of Dec. 2002) 2,963 were awaiting a kidney transplant.
- Since 1964, The Kidney Foundation has raised more than $67 million to support kidney related research but still this disease continues to commonly afflict out population.